Wednesday, January 23, 2013

there's no place like home...

sewing for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week leaves your mind a long leash on which to wander if not engaged. when repeating the same task all day long, muscle memory takes over and leaves the brain unoccupied. i try to keep it busy by listening to podcasts, the news, npr, music, language and philosophy courses...the alternative is to ruminate over the minutiae of every conversation and interaction i've ever had, analyze my childhood, past failures, you get the idea, you know that chattering monkey that never shuts up. i was recently turned on to a new source of distraction, librivox. the site offers free audio books from the public domain, read by volunteers. i've been listening to the wonderful wizard of oz lately, did you know there are 14 oz books?! my earliest memories of watching tv include the wizard of oz (the monkeys scared me) and the funeral of elvis presley (my mom loved him)remember that dress glinda the good witch wore? gorgeous! my mother made my prom dress that rivals glindas! hmm, and my dad had a pair of white bell bottoms with blue satin godets, ha ha! i'll have to ask her if she made those too. anywhoo...here's some fashion photos inspired by the wizard of oz, one of my favorite movies. 


photo from http://www.fashion-spreads.com/2010/05/the-wizard-of-oz.html

photo from http://thevintageindependent.blogspot.com/2010/08/wizard-of-oz-71st-anniversary.html






No comments: